Monday, October 22, 2007

Terrible.....terrible.....blogger!

Slap my hands......take my knitting needles away.........whip me with a tape measure.....but please be gentle! It's been too long since I've blogged......I know!

With my new job and working fulltime....I think I finally can get back to my blog. In my spare time I've been knitting like a fiend. I just finished my second Lady Eleanor Stole and I love it! I'm now working on a pair of toe-up socks that I took a class to learn.....Now let me tell you about the class...

When you sign up for a knitting class, you expect that the teacher is at least an "intermediate" knitter. Someone who will be able to answer your questions and actually have an understanding of patterns, how they work etc; This was not the case!

I took this class with a couple of friends of mine.....first the instructor (and I use that term quite loosely) didn't have the pattern ready when we arrived so we had to wait for her to copy it. Shouldn't all materials be ready BEFORE we arrive?

As we sit down, she explains that she just started knitting a few months ago and the owner of the knitting store thought she could teach a class! We all looked at each other with surprise because between the 3 of us we had about 15 years of knitting.

The class begins and we are having trough with the cast-on.....she explains that she doesn't have her socks to show us, so she grabs a pair of circulars and tries to show us. Instead of coming up to each of us.....she stood at the end of a table and held it up in the air! Wouldn't it have been easier to show us on big needles with big yarn? When I figured it out.....I went to each person in the class and showed them.

Then there was the pattern......I was coming up with a different number of stitches than the pattern stated.....then someone else was, then someone else. Finally, she looks at the pattern and said "Oops! This second page is the wrong one!" What the heck! Needless to say, I won't be taking a class from her!

My knitting group is still going strong......we have lost one of our members to cancer. But we were happy to hear that we made her final months filled with love and knitting......it brought her much peace.

With that said.......I hope you all forgive me in the blogging world. I promise it won't happen again! Happy Knitting!

2 comments:

Kris said...

Wow - which store was it through? Not Shirley's right?

Tracy said...

No it was French Knots.....we talked to Flora about it! I'll give you all the details when I see you!